Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Rutland minute on Blogging and Social Networking 2.25

Our PR class today was taken by another lecturer from the University, who was an experienced blogger and journalist.

As a class we brainstormed the things we had learnt from our blogs, and what we would do to improve/enrich audience and readers. The two words which proved most popular were varied and relevant.

If I was to create a mission statement on what I'd like to achieve with this blog, I might actually struggle. Not simply because I can't think of what to write, but because I might be struggling to put it into 150 words. Much like Twitter's 140 character limit, I think I might need to sort out and compartmentalise my goals.

"I try to be funny, though careful as to my style of humour. One great business lecturer once said that "No one buys from a clown". I try to interest my readers in politics. Particularly so from a conservative viewpoint, as it is often a subject many shy away from socially, but willing to discuss with great account otherwise. I also try to bring news from my home county Rutland, which would mostly go unnoticed in the busy world around it. I also find the blog somewhat personal, even though I were advised not to be overtly life-sharing."

98 Words. Hang on, I just thought I'd struggle to write that. Perhaps I can't quite touch the word count, but it is a very messy statement. 

Perhaps the answer is in the blog sub-title

"Multum In Parvo, Latin for Much In Little" (Rutland's motto)

I do have a lot to say and do, and not a lot to say it in. I do have much to talk about, though find it hard putting it down as a condensed posting. I also have much to say about Rutland, but in a too smaller channel for mainstream media to pick up. Truly, it is Much in Little. So it may not be the most auspicious mission statement, though my county is proud to carry it as it's motto. I too shall be proud to have it as this blog's mantra.

As an aside to today's class, we were also asked to think about Twitter, 5 weeks on from our original opinions. To use my regular lecturer's words from our internal class blog, 'the often dismissive and unflattering' comments we pass about twitter are still fairly prevalent. I would agree to an extent with them, though I am pleased to have found very like minded people on their. My 76 followers are mostly US-Born. Is this good or bad? Who knows. I'm pleased, though, that I have met them online and that Twitter does allow me to see all their happening without digging to deeply into their lives. Perhaps this is Social Networking 2.25? Personal, Online, Global and yet not too personal?!

1 comment:

  1. We have discussed social networking 1.0 and telephone conversations 1.5 many times, and it continues to be a usefule debate. There is nothing better than seeing 20 people belly to belly everyday, for business, and pleasure. All of the electronis stuff allows you to fit in a few more, but are there some conections you want to drop?

    ReplyDelete