Sunday, March 08, 2009

I’m not a politician. I’m a businessman, with a sense of history

The Lessons of The Long Good Friday

A very young cast of Pierce Brosnan, Hellen Mirren and Bob Hoskins all star in what is arguably the best British gangster film.

When reading The Spectator (a magazine with mainly right-wing comment) this week, I came across the article on how we have learnt lessons from the film. Below is the video of one of the best scenes in the film, Harold Shand giving his famous speech 

Skip to 1.15, otherwise you may be put off by the story arcs introduced so early on; it's the speech Id like to focus on.




A true visionary, but are we living out his own downfall? By the end of the film, Harry is slowly losing grip on his empire, and the ambiguous last scene is roughly where we are now in the recession

No comment from me this time, I leave that to The Spectator, as I cannot improve on it. 

One final note: Buy this film (£4 from leading retailers), Watch it and enjoy 

1 comment:

  1. All the optimism, and none of the nightmares. Obama could learn something from this?

    ReplyDelete