Friday, March 13, 2009

Liberal Island Discs


I awoke after last night's PR night out to Desert Island Discs on the radio, with guest Richard Madeley (of Richard & Judy fame). I heard his Who song choice and was thoroughly impressed. I didn't manage to catch the whole programme, and it is one of the few not available as a catch up on the BBC iPlayer.

As I walked into town, I suddenly decided to begin part hum and part sing a couple of Feeder songs. I think I was pondering about some long lost love interest, and one of Feeder's songs, Just The Way I'm Feeling, came into my head and reminded me of her.

Later on, I was doing a due essay for University, and had my music player on Shuffle Play-All. The Jam's (commercially most successful) b-side, Butterfly Collector, came on, as did the Travelling Wilbury's Dirty World.

This had me pondering, if I was stuck on an island full of liberals, what would be my desert island discs (not minding an island to myself, an island of liberals might just send me off the wall). One might argue I'm already on that island, but that's for another blog post, another time.

In typical R4 fashion of maintaining the rules, I'll choose my 8 tracks, a book and a luxury item.

So, which tracks, who by and why? (Links to videos of the song have been included)

  1. Just The Way I'm Feeling - Feeder: The track that really switched me on to the band, I vividly remember them in concert. What a band. Reminds me of so much in my life.
  2. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana: Bedroom Rock at it's finest, this was the band when I was 14. Their Unplugged session was, in my opinion, their best session and album. This track, though, is their symbol. Kurt = Hero
  3. Freestyler - Bomfunk MCs: Hungarian euro dance techno whatsit at its finest. My first ever album, In Stereo, by the band was and still is a real treasure. This classic tune still hasn't lost it's original glory with me. A remixed version, compiled by me and some D of E chums, also helped us when we climbed some distant hills in Exmoor.
  4. Cherry Pie - Warrant: Filled with lude humour, innuendo, and a video that can make any man lust after Bobbi Brown, Warrant really get into the 80s hair metal. Released in 1992, this song captures all of the 80s rock you can think of, and doesn't take itself too seriously. One of the two most stable women in my life, the other being Greggs ladies of Fawcett Street
  5. Mama Weer All Crazee Now - Slade: A karaoke must and good clean rock & roll. Played all the way up the A6 to Ballathie, and many places since. Anyone can sing along to the simple chorus at the end, and guaranteed to get everyone rocking out the place.
  6. Baggy Trousers - Madness: Oakham School in a nutshell. It was 2004 I picked up Madness: The Lot, 6 of their best albums digitally remastered. This track now just makes so much sense. 'Oh what fun we had, but did it really turn out bad?'
  7. Stronger - Kanye West (feat. Daft Punk): A strange choice. I'm not usually a fan of rap/r&b etc, but this song makes an excellent fusion of house and rap. It just reminds me of 4 months of my life: September - December 2007. Starting University, I suddenly found life really was Harder Better Faster Stronger. I'd still like to give shout out to P. Diddy, M.O.P, 2pac and a little 50 cent. All of them 20 tracks in my WMP library classed as 'rap', they all have their place. 
  8. Round & Round - The Fantasticks: One of the most undiscovered musicals in the UK, this was my last foray on the stage. A truly fantastic musical, full of humour and romance, despair and hope, this song is one of my favourites from it. I played Henry, the aging bald actor who was really about ready to retire from the stage (an ominous sign in my real life, it still nearly brings a tear to my eye).
If they were all about to be washed away, and I could save only one record?: Feeder's Just The Way Im Feeling

My book?: The House Of Cards by Michael Dobbs - The book that introduced me to Politics and Public Relations. I can only dream of one day being in Francis Urqhart's position of power

My Luxury?: Toilet Paper, the no. 1 item that goes into a D of E rucksack any day

And there you have it, The Rutland Correspondent's Liberal Island Discs. Id urge any of my followers to post their Liberal (or Desert) Island Discs on their blogs, it can really surprise you and your friends when music tracks old and new come up for discussion

2 comments:

  1. This is brilliant - I'll post a blog as soon as I can in reply to this!

    www.therealstudentvoice.blogspot.com

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Telstar by The Tornadoes, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Carmina Burrana by Orff, Wonderwall by Oasis, Vogue by Madonna, Born to run by Bruce Springsteen, They said there'd be Snow at Christmas by Greg Lake, Beatiful World Mike Oldfield. Luxury talcum powder, book The Classic Lensman Series by E. E. Doc Smith. Carmina Burrana would be the one and only.

    ReplyDelete